Animation Studio 1 – 08 – Furious Modelling

Introduction

In this entry I will be talking about the modelling process for my Furious character for the character design project. I’m not very experienced with low poly modelling, so the 1000 tri limit was a great and fun challenge for me.


Coordinating

GravityFalls_Height

Character Height Comparison Sheet

In the early stages of the project and during the actual design process of our characters there wasn’t much communication or coordination in the team. But when the modelling stage began we started to use slack to communicate and keep everything consistent. Our first step was to make sure we had the right scale so that when we put in all the character into the final scene they would all be the same size, as they would be rigged and so a pain to scale. We did this by creating a character height sheet (I made it) and discussing how big we wanted our characters and balance them out, so that there weren’t to many short ones or to many tall ones. Then from there Simon created a scene with the correct scale, the height sheet and another few reference objects, he then shared it with everyones so they could model their character within that scene. At this stage we were also deciding on what kind of maps (AO, Bump, Normal) we would need to plugin into the material so we could tick off some LO’s and to make the final render better.


First Pass of the Model

Furious_Orth

I did my modelling in Maya as it was the program I had available at home. I began by creating a model sheet, the important part was to have clear and consistent lines an height through both the front and side views but the detail colour didn’t matter. My original plan was to make a high poly model and then base a lower poly off of it, but I decided that was to time consuming to be worth it. I only modelled one half as the character is perfectly symmetrical, except for the horns which I did individually for each side, to break the symmetry a bit. I had to merge some faces as my tri count was getting to high, mostly merging the body and the beard together as I realised they would not move much anyway, any detail I could define with textures and fake shadows.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.00.58 AM

I then created the staff which was very simple, although the tri count was a bit high for what I needed, it didn’t go toward the characters tri count so I wasn’t to worried. The final step was to identify any mistakes in the topology such as hidden faces and vertices that weren’t merged. I also added the necessary topology on the elbows and knees for a good distortion when posed.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.03.47 AM


 

Feedback and Refining

In class everyone received feedback on their models, sadly Brett found one mistake in that I didn’t merge vertices in the hat that were sharing the same space. Beside that I was told I should add some extra faces on the top of the brim of the hat to cover up the fact that the eyes go through it. I actually did the same with the gaps in the sleeves.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.04.59 AM

As a team we also decided we should all also make similar hands as everyone approached the differently, so I replaced the spheres I had and made flatter hands that had an extruding thumb, I also added extra topology so it could bend with less distortion. Now onto UV’s and texturing.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.05.19 AM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: