Animation Studio 1 – 09 -Furious Texturing

Introduction

Furious

In this entry I will continue though the process I followed to create my Furious character, specifically going through the unwrapping and texturing process, these two processes where very challenging as I only had a 256×256 texture size limit (although I do get 2).


Unwrapping

I began by deciding where the seams for the model should be, it wasn’t to important though as most of the texturing was solid colours, the only parts I had to think about was the face, the hand and the feet. I unwrapped the character in maya by just mapping them based on the viewport camera, which is my preferred method, and the I just cut the necessary uv edges. Finally with most of the shells I just use the unwrap tool, it works most of the time, if not I just reposition the necessary Uv’s. Finally my favourite step is to figure out how to take advantage of the UV space as its like a jigsaw puzzle. Here is my first attempt at the UV’s.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.08.07 AM

I attempted to texture the character with these UV’s but the pixelation was really noticeable and was taking away from the model. I tried to solve the problem by making a higher resolution texture and then scaling it down, but I had the same result. I realised some of the areas didn’t need any real detail so I decided to give certain areas more texel density . So I had no other option but to redo the UV’s, all the shells were already there so it was really fast I just scaled up the more important parts and this was the final result which gave much better results. I gave the face and the eyes much more space and thus many more pixels. Other things I made sure to do was to leave enough space between the shells themselves and the edges of the square to avoid bleeding, which I had to fix several times due to small size of the texture. I left the face and other elements in a logical angle so it would be easier to texture, which really did help as some areas needed plenty of detail to fake depth.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.06.19 AM


Texturing

the texturing with this character was an interesting experience, I had already made a texture with the old UV tiles, so I was much more confident in this second round. I pulled all the colours from my final character art and desaturated them a bit as they would be illuminated anyway in the final scene. The unique part of this texture is that despite all being solid colours I had to fake depth in certain parts, I did so by simply adding an extra multiply layer for shadows, and then a highlight layer. The hardest was the beard as I had to define it more than I expected. Finally I used the alpha channel of this texture for the alpha channel in the materials used.

This was the final result, although the alphas don’t work in the viewport in the top image they work perfectly.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.06.33 AM

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: